Sunday, April 29, 2012

Children's Corner: Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!

Review: Another great library find by my 1st grader. Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! is perfect for springtime and the woes of those who love to plant gardens. Poor Mr. McGreely has spent years waiting to plant his garden and has decided that this was the year for it. Unbeknownst to him, there are 3 little rabbits who are eagerly awaiting his garden as well but to eat from it. After he discovers that the bunnies have been eating his garden's goods, he goes through different measures to keep them out. They start out subtle and end up pretty ridiculous in the end.

No matter what he does those sneaky little rabbits end up in his garden. I'm sure there are life lessons in the book but frankly I just find it cute, clever and funny. I've always been a sucker for cute, puffy-tailed rabbits, so this book gave me my fill. I liked how resourceful the rabbits were in getting into the garden for their munchies. I liked how Mr. McGreely was determined to keep them out and keep the fresh vegetables for himself. Perhaps perseverance and staying determined in the face of adversity are the life lessons here.

The illustrations capture the book well using colors that leap off the pages. I'm excited to find out that there's a sequel to this book called Tippy-Tippy-Tippy, Hide! and I just might be sending a note to my daughter's teacher to have her pull it for me, I mean us.

 Share/Bookmark

No comments: